Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Birthday to the Church. That Jewish "Feast of Weeks" which occurred fifty days after Passover each year on the Hebrew calendar found Jesus's friends all gathered together in Jerusalem awaiting further instructions from their leader.
I bet most of them thought they would see and visit with their friend and rabbi that day. Surely no one was prepared to have their hats blown off and tongues of fire on top of their heads. They didn't forsee they would be speaking in tongues, or that goofy Peter would finally attach his tongue to his heart and brain and deliver a powerful sermon that moves believers to this day.
I'd say it was a "surprise birthday party!"
Seriously, I would like to give a gift of true repentence to this party this year. Over the years as I have searched for the truth, I have made Peter's worst blunders look brilliant. I have offended people in Jesus's name for all sorts of reasons. I am truly sorry for my lack of wisdom, my narrow vision and my limited trust in God.
If Christ can use this gift, I am glad. It's probably one thing that won't ever get regifted!

No comments: